Just winging it

So this winter I fell into a hat knitting vortex. It was like I was possessed, and I couldn't stop knitting hats. It started out with this hat for myself.


The yarn is some of my all time favorite, Good Karma Yarn which I purchased at the New York Sheep and Wool Festival this past Autumn. The festival has been an annual tradition for my BF and I for at least ten years now, and this yarn is always one of my favorite purchases. Its unbelievably soft and squishy, it wears so very well (no pilling and becoming gross) and the colors are beautiful. If you have never tried it I say you should! One skein makes a darling hat. They make sock yarn too, if you are so inclined.  The pattern is Aesderina which is fun and would work with so many different yarns to produce a really warm and really stylish hat.

An awesome purchase of 3 adorable skeins of this turned into 4 lovely hats for Christmas presents.


Not my typical yarn purchase, but the display in Michael's was too much to resist. All of the pretty colors sitting there with their adorable pom pom tops! 

Normally I feel comfortable modifying a few things here or there on a pattern. If I understand the basic construction of the item I'm making, and I feel I want to add a little to the design element, or change up the sizing of it a bit, I'll go with it. Most of the time things turn out okay too. But sometimes that path leads to a dead end (or a hat that fits a child's doll, or worse, a giant frying pan!) 

That's what happened to me when I looked at all the little bits left over from the five hats I'd made and thought, "what a waste! it would be so nice to have little fingerless mitts or something to go with each of the hats." All the patterns I found really did call for way more yarn than I probably had. But being me I figured, I'll just wing it. I will start from the cuff and work something sideways, I'll go until I've gone through half the yarn and see where I'm at. I did this at least six times....a few crochet attempts, a few knitting attempts. A few attempts actually ended with me crumpling up the yarn and tossing it in the bottom of my tote bag. 

Its so funny how quickly knitting can knock me back down a peg once in a while. She says "your getting too cocky, so now you will never make something useful out of those scraps without a well thought out pattern and twice the yardage." 

Ah, well Knitting, you win. I still love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kids silk flower project

Living in Northern New England, we have our fair share of the cold winter season. There comes a point, particularly when it's been a ve...

Past Posts